Thursday, November 10, 2011

I am here

"Every serious work is tranquil... Every serious work resembles in poise the quiet phrase, 'I am here'. Like or dislike for the work evaporates; but the sound of that phrase is eternal." - Kandinsky in Roger Lipsey "The spiritual in twentieth-century art"

This quote by Kandinsky touched in me in a very profound way when reading Lipsey's book. It all led me to exact situation for conceiving this simple visual statement, not so absurdly entitled: I am here.

The questions lies on the question of light using itself to write and therefore, in this moment, affirming its presence and existance.

Although sometimes reluctant in giving English titles or putting writings in other languages that not mine into my work, somehow feeling as if I was faking the process or deceiving my history, this was a very specific case and made me notice an important aspect of the reading. The verb "to be" encompasses a dual notion of existance: a transitory and a permanent. On the other hand, in portuguese, a decision would have to be made between: "eu sou aqui" (permanent) and "eu estou aqui" (transitory). I'm interrested in fact in the work as ambiguous as it has become: being eternally, becoming, or whichever gap in time it may want to assume.

No comments:

Post a Comment